Dr. Garcia was licensed to practice medicine in Texas in 1940. In his early years as a doctor, he sought to improve living conditions in Mexican barrios and migrant labor camps.
In an exchange that exemplifies his approach to practicing medicine, Dr. Garcia urges Rebecca Salinas to visit him at his office regardless of her ability to pay for treatment.
Dr. Garcia and his sister, Dr. Clotilde Garcia, are pictured together in the office at their Corpus Christi medical practice.
After World War II, Dr. Garcia established a medical practice in Corpus Christi, Texas, where he provided affordable, quality care to immigrants, veterans, and the poor. Learning about his patients and the injustices they faced inspired him to take action. The years of activist work that followed often required Dr. Garcia to travel, but his sister, Dr. Clotilde Garcia, ran the practice in his absence.